We had Justin's parent/teacher conference Thursday morning. He's doing amazingly well (minus the whole not completing things on time, and not paying attention stuff...). His teacher said that he is reading on a 3rd grade level, that she's really amazed, he's reading the best in his class. We're very happy to hear that but know we've still got a long way to go with J. He still has challenges but we're so happy with his progress.
I don't have pictures (left the camera at home, darn!), but I might as well tell about the fun Valentine's party Justin had with the 1st graders on Wednesday. I came to help out and it was QUITE a production! The whole 1st grade (3 classes) was divided into 4 groups that rotated between 4 different stations. One station (out in the hall pod area) had a fondue pot and chocolate fountain that the mom-helpers were handing out little cups of chocolate and then the kids could have pretzels, marshmallows, graham crackers, marashino cherries, and pineapple to dip in the chocolate. They drank cherry 7-Up with whipped cream (I thought this sounded a little bit "too much" but I suppose it must've tasted like an Italian cream soda?). Then the kids rotated between 3 other stations--a craft where they made cute little valentine bookmarks out of ribbon and do-dads. There was another room where they played bingo with conversation hearts. And then the room I ended up in they did a little relay where there were cardboard hearts at one end of the room where the kids would run to, flip over a heart, and have to "do" whatever was written on the other side all the way back to their team. These things were like crabwalk, twirl in a circle, hop on one foot, etc. The kids had fun. BUT THEN. The cutest game. There was a wrapped up box that was wrapped up in different layers of wrapping paper, like maybe 8-9 layers. The kids sat in a circle and we told them that they were going to pass this box around the circle and did sort of a hot potato thing (we didn't have the music we needed so one of the moms turned around and did like a red light/green light thing to start and stop the game) and that whoever the box ended on that person would have to unwrap a layer. We told them that whoever unwrapped the last layer would have to give everyone in the circle hugs and kisses. Their response was hilarious--"EEEWWW!" But in truth the box had hugs and kisses in it that the last person was to pass them out to everyone in the circle. It really was pretty funny to see their responses when the person unwrapped the last layer and knew that they were going to be the one to have to "hug and kiss" everyone. So funny, great game and so age appropriate. It's one I want to remember. What a great party. Justin was covered in chocolate but had so much fun. Good times. I'm looking forward to my own valentine evening with Adam tomorrow night. We're going to put the kids to bed and have a late dinner at home; I'm trying out some new recipes (we'll see Martha Stewart) and bought some filet over at Omaha Steaks. Hope it turns out!



1 comment:
What a cute day! I love that game idea!! Thanks Melissa!! I am going to use it next year in Ethan's class and Brynlee's!! On Tuesday, I'll be posting about Ethan's party! We had a fun day too!
P.S. I tried Linda's sugar cookie recipe....sooooo good!! Do you by chance have a frosting recipe you like and use? Thanks for sharing...I ate one too many!!
Post a Comment