Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day

was great this year! Adam took Justin to our neighborhood park to go sledding and it was the PERFECT day for that! It seems that after it snows here it's always too cold (like teens and below) to go out and sled. But this time it was perfect, sunny and in the 30s. So the boys went out while I hung out with Spencer at home. Adam caught some fun photos from their morning:












That night, instead of getting a babysitter (which we don't do nearly enough anyway!) we put the kids to bed and had a late dinner at home. I tried out some new recipes and we enjoyed our night together. On the menu: Steamed Artichokes with Tarragon Butter, Filet Mignon with Herb and Cheese Potatoes, and Truffle Brownies. It was all lovely. I got out our china and crystal goblets and it was fun to have a fancy dinner at home. The Omaha Steaks' filet was excellent, especially with this recipe. The brownies were great--the ganache really made it tasty. The artichokes weren't so great, but I'm wondering if it's just because I bought walmart artichokes, they just weren't very "meaty." I loved artichokes as a kid, so I'm willing to try making them again...maybe with a different recipe. But we had such fun. I told Adam that next time it's his turn to cook something for me! I was surprised that Justin stayed in his bed (not even ONE peep down the stairs, which we expected) and Spencer went right to sleep. A fun night. I'll have to break out the china more often. A special dinner every once in a while is a good change-up!

2 comments:

kelly said...

I'm glad you left a comment on my blog, I'll have to add you to my list!

Kirsten said...

Ooooh lala!! Sounds like a romantic evening at home and it your menu sounds delicious!! Glad you got to spend some (uninterrupted!) one on one time together!