Friday, January 15, 2010

An unexpected phone call

The phone rang this afternoon, and since I didn't recognize the name on my caller ID, I thought for sure that it was a wrong number. I didn't catch the beginning of what the woman said, but I did hear "massage" and she asked if I was Melissa. When I said yes, she told me that I had a pregnancy massage scheduled for 2:45 this afternoon and I realized that my sweet husband must've set this up (for my birthday which is Monday), being that today was a post-call day and he would be home so I could go. I was so excited and winked at him as he stood in the doorway listening to my conversation. But then the lady started asking what trimester I'm in and if I'm high risk, what's going on etc. As I told her of my new restrictions, I knew that this wasn't going to happen (she told me I had to have a doctor's note or ok from them due to the diabetes and modified bedrest) and I just started to bawl. My husband, watching this play out felt horrible, and I felt horrible that he had to watch me bawling away. When I got off the phone, he said, "I'm so sorry hon. I was hoping for the opposite effect, not to upset you." But so sweet of him. Ahh, a massage sounds so nice on this cold day. He's promised to give me one instead. If only I could lay on my belly....only a couple more months, ahhh. Something to look forward to!

6 comments:

Kendra said...

Oh no honey! That was so nice of him to try that for you, though! And he can make it happen after little one is born, for an afternoon away! *hugs*

Kirsten said...

Oh Melissa....that's so hard! What a roller coaster of emotions to go through. It'll be something wonderful to look forward to after your sweet baby is here.

Pregnancy is so hard, women have to sacrifice so much of themselves, their bodies, their comfort, etc. but you are doing a great work to bring one of those spirits here. And your kids will love having a new sibling to enjoy too. The massage post pregnancy might be another thing to look forward also.

Happy early birthday and you are in my thoughts!! ;-D I wish I could come spoil you for the day and give you a foot rub!!!

Kirsten said...

P.S. Tell Adam not to give up on birthday presents like that though!!!!! Next year he can repeat it again!! ;-D

Amber Marie said...

that is pretty sad! for both of you- what a sweet thought- i bet he was waiting for your reaction too!

yes only a couple more months and then you will be normal again, yeah!!

Becky said...

wow, that is so cute! go adam!!

Becky said...

wow, that is so cute! go adam!