Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Decisions, decisions

This week Adam has interviews in Texas for a one-year fellowship that he's decided to do (after residency is over in a year and a half). We chose these programs in Texas mainly because we think we want to end up in Texas; we figure this will give us something to go on (plus it's needed in order to get a job down there, they look for TX ties apparently). We figure, if we hate it after a year then Adam can look elsewhere for a job. I'm on pins and needles though....Adam should be in an interview right now, as I type this. It really is a difficult thing to throw a dart at a map and say, "This is where we'll be forever" and we're hoping that this fellowship (besides furthering Adam's knowledge, blah blah...) will help us narrow things down a bit. It would be one thing if California weren't overpriced, a pit financially, and not a great place to be a doctor right now financially and otherwise, but now that not ALL our family lives there, we don't feel the pull to go back...and actually feel just the opposite--to RUN the other direction. So it's a weird place we're in. When we left there for med school we of course thought we'd be back. But during med school we realized there are SO MANY good things about other places around the country. Maybe we've just had the opportunity to realize that people are NICE and GREAT other places...strange thing as it is to realize! SO...bottom line, this week will be an interesting turning point as we narrow things down a bit. The options that we've given ourselves are Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Today is Dallas day so we'll see...eeek!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting! Please keep us posted. I'd vote for Houston, so we'd be close! :) It's funny what you said about Texas ties, because they fed us the same line when Andy was interviewing with the accounting firms in Houston. Anyhow, we love Texas and hope you get the opportunity to enjoy it as well! I totally agree with you about CA. If we really wanted to we could head back to CA in June, but we're not so inclined, so TX it is. :)

Audrey said...

Wow. California is at the bottom of a lot of people's lists...as for us, we're just waiting for the right time to leave. I've always been really nervous about moving out of state, but the way it's deteriorating the thought becomes more and more easy to swallow. I hope you guys will be happy where ever you end up! Good luck!

Kristen said...

Very exciting, I can't wait to hear. Also, just wanted to wish you a belated birthday. I thought about you on Monday and told myself I should get on your blog or facebook at least and then like I seem to do most of the time, totally forgot. Happy Birthday!! Miss you!!

kelly said...

I wish that our entire family was not here. It makes it to hard to leave everyone but it would be awesome to experience life somewhere else and with a lower price tag too!