Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fun in DC





Since Adam had a "free" stay (paid by his residency) in DC for his month at AFIP at Walter Reed Medical Center, we decided to take a little trip during Justin's fall break out there, which happened to be at the very end of Adam's time in DC. As I posted earlier in a blog, we were REALLY stupid and made the flight out for 6am, so that meant I got the kids up at 3:30, out the door at 4am and to Eppley at 4:30 to take the shuttle and all over to get our baggage and stuff situated. A bit stressful, but worth the effort.

When I saw on Wednesday that it was supposed to RAIN the ENTIRE time we were in DC, and knowing that we were going to be walking everywhere (and taking the Metro everywhere) I knew we needed to invest in one of those plastic things that go over strollers. While it worked PERFECT (and I had a LOT of people ask me where I got it--Babies R Us), Spencer absolutely HATED it. And I mean hate with as strong of language I can emit!!


It was a great trip though, we didn't really "have to" do anything, knowing that this wasn't really a trip for me and Adam to run around and see all that we wanted to see. We just wanted to try to do a few things, something for Justin to remember. We pretty much just hung out and enjoyed having daddy around on Thursday.

Thursday night April and Cord came over, in the RAIN and we 'made' pizzas, yum. Then Adam and Cord went off to play volleyball and April and I got to catch up on life until late into the night. My little boys went to bed and we got to chat and reminisce. It was great; it's times like that that I realize what a good group of girls we had in Fresno and I miss that we all probably won't ever be able to ALL be together again as we've gone our separate ways, at least in this life anyway. Even if we had silly spats, as girls do growing up, all those girls really were great and shaped who I am. It was great to see April. She's grown to be a remarkable woman.

On Friday, we travelled down and saw the American History Museum and the Natural History Museum. I knew Justin would enjoy the dinosaurs and the meteorites. Spencer, however, is at a really un-fun museum age and just wanted to touch everything (duh to me!). He got really excited when he saw a display that was floor level that had an old lawnmower in it and he ran right up to it, full force, only to be thrown backwards by the force of the plexiglass covering it! And then the tantrum began (because he wanted to touch it!). But Adam and I couldn't help but laugh. So we traded off chasing S through the museums. Since I had gone out to DC in 2006, there were a few things that had been updated, which was cool. The "Old Glory" flag--the one that inspired "The Star Spangled Banner"-- is now in a beautiful, very moving display. I tried to soak up the feelings of that exhibit, with intermittant Spencer outbursts! Boy it was nice to have Adam around as a buffer, after a month of having him gone!!!









At the end of the day as we were riding the Metro back "home," I asked Justin what his favorite thing we did that day was, expecting "dinosaurs" or "meteorites"...to which he replied, "Right now, riding the train." Figures!!


Saturday we made our way to Arlington National Cemetery. Again, knowing this would be another "not kid" friendly experience, we did our best. Justin got to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier and was able to see JFK/Jackie Kennedy's gravesites. Spencer was not happy when Adam strolled him away from the eternal flame there and started screaming "FIRE!! I want FIRE!" Just one of many fits at Arlington! We also got to see Ted Kennedy's gravesite. But mainly I wanted Justin to get a sense of how grateful I am for the soldiers who've given their lives for our freedoms. It struck me again as we wandered through there of the love our Savior and Heavenly Father has for each one of us, and that even though we all aren't war heros, He loves us anyway, no matter what.



The kids really needed some time to run around after that so we went to the Air and Space Museum. It was better than I thought it'd be. Having gone to lots of space museums and to Kennedy Space Center before, I figured it would be kinda lame, but it really wasn't. The boys enjoyed it, of course.



That night April and Cord came over and we hung out, played cards, and ate up some of the random snacks that needed eating before taking off the next day. I was really grateful that they took a bunch of stuff for us that we would've had to throw out the next day when we were ready to go. We enjoyed our time with them; it was nice that they live down the street from where we were staying!

Sunday we had some time after packing up everything so we headed out to the National Archives. I knew we wouldn't be spending a ton of time there, but I wanted Justin to at least see the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence. I'm sure the importance of those documents won't sink in until years to come, but I'm glad I got some pictures w/ Justin and them!


And we went home. Survived the plane ride back (this one was at 8pm...also not too ideal of a time, but that's ok!). It was a quick, packed weekend but it was one to remember for all of us. Glad we could go!

5 comments:

Em said...

i know. isn't it funny that you meet new friends here and there but they never compare with our good group of fresno girls. glad you had such a great trip!

The Chuck Smith Family said...

Looks like a lot of fun. What a memory filled trip.

Unknown said...

such a great trip! You amaze me.

Unknown said...

What a fun trip! I'm sure it was so nice to be together as a family again. How fun to get together with April. I had to laugh at your comment about the stroller cover. Those are a must over here, but in the U.S. you don't see them that often... Glad both flights were bearable, I'm starting to get nervous about flying 9 straight hours by myself with two little ones. Hopefully it goes well... :)

Lirpa said...

Hey! I finally found this! We have to send a big THANKS for all that stuff we got to keep, it will last us a long time! It was great to see you, get to know Adam better, and see your kids!!

Much love!!