Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving 09

I have been terrible about taking pictures lately. I think it relates to the exhaustion I've been feeling. So I don't really have pictures from Thanksgiving (I'll have to get copies from my Dad)but thought I should at least document what we did this year. We've been fortunate enough to live "fairly" close to my parents since they moved to the Chicago area and have been able to have them here at Thanksgiving time for the past few years in a row. They made the trek out (about at 8 hour drive) on Wednesday and left on Friday. A quick trip but we enjoyed their company while they were here. They stayed with us for the first time this year, which was fun.

As for the Thanksgiving menu itself, I wanted to simplify the best I could. I was tempted to buy one of the already cooked meals from Hy-Vee or Baker's but at last minute I decided it wasn't worth it and I could simplify just as easy without the expense. So we had cajun seasoned turkey breast (which I didn't know was preseasoned...I somehow missed THAT part of the packaging! A bit spicy! And to note, Adam has decided this is the only way to do turkey, that it's so much juicier, quicker cooking--especially if I had also read and bought the precooked one, which somehow I didn't--and just plain easy!), ham (already cooked half ham, again, EASY!), a mashed potato casserole, the tradional 'Malan' yam casserole, and interesting cheesy green bean casserole (not half bad in my estimation, it was fun to try out a couple new recipes), cranberry sauce from a can (for Adam), stove top stuffing (also for Adam--I hate the stuff), crescent rolls (good ol' pillsbury! Didn't want to slave in making homemade rolls), pumpkin pie, and carmel apple pie (Sam's does the best I think!). I felt bad that most of the meal wasn't home-made, but it made it SO NICE and less stressful for me. I had anticipated going to work on Wednesday night, so I knew I'd be exhausted Thursday morning and not feeling much like cooking. I had made the green bean thing and the yams on Wednesday, all ready to be baked. And THAT was the way to go I decided. Luckily I was able to VSR that night (I haven't been to work for a couple weeks because I've staff reduced two weeks in a row. Hope I remember how to be a nurse when I go back!) and I was able to have dinner with everyone and hang out. We enjoyed a trip to Texas Roadhouse that night.

Spencer got a fever overnight though and kept us up for much of Wednesday night. Luckily he had no other symptoms and has been fine since, whew! While my mom and I worked on food preparations, the boys all went on a scavenger hunt of sorts, doing this activity book that the city of Omaha put out "Go, Play, Adventure" that takes one all over the city to different parks and then the activity book has a place for the kids to do a crayon rubbing at each place (I think they get something when they complete all the pages in the book or something). They had a lot of fun with this, but were bummed that someone must've stolen the rubbing thing at our neighborhood park! Thursday night we sent all the boys out (except Spencer) to go to see Planet 51, which they all enjoyed. Friday morning my dad fixed his famous french toast, we hung out and then they went on their way home. We were able to get our Christmas lights up Friday (the weather was WONDERFUL and like 60 degrees!) and today Adam is working. All in all a much relaxing holiday, just what I needed. Sometimes it's really nice not to fuss, to spend 2 days in the kitchen, and just have time to hang out with the family! It seems like that's what Thanksgiving can turn into (and granted, that's why some like it I suppose), just being in the kitchen for an entire holiday. But I like to enjoy the time I have with my family. I look forward to seeing them at Christmas/Jonathan's wedding, and am hoping this baby in my belly will cooperate so we can make that happen!

3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

sounds like fun! good job making dinner for everyone and without too much cooking- that takes talent ya know? :) I can definitely relate to the exhaustion, though yours is probaby times 3 or 4 with having TWO little ones to care for.

wright said...

What a fun Thanksgiving! I bet it was fun to have your fam at your house! BTW, when are you due?!

Kirsten said...

That is wonderful that you were able to enjoy your family for Thanksgiving!!! I agree...the simpler the better. I have never understood why it takes 8 hours to prepare a meal that is done in 20 minutes!??!?! Anyway, glad your family got to be there! Tell them hello for me when you get a chance!!

P.S> I can't believe how much your ticker has dropped down on the side...the end of residency is near for you guys!!!!! SO jealous!