Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sighing

That's what I keep doing. Over and over. I'm trying to help Adam with his personal statement and CV for his fellowship applications...which probably should've been done a million weeks ago. But somebody (we'll leave him nameless) procrastinated the decision to do this whole fellowship sillyness. And now we're in a rush to get it turned in so he can get an interview and get a spot. Adam used today and tomorrow as "vacation" days in order to get this stupid application stuff done, and I've been "helping" as scribe somewhat. But mostly we're trying to get his personal statement done. And we remember NOW why his residency application one took 6 weeks to complete. Because they are simply a pain in the fanny. And why is it that one can NOT just speak as they really want to on an application/personal statement? It bugs me. I mean really, what's wrong with being brutally honest? His personal statement SHOULD just say, "Hey look people. I want to do a fellowship. Did I have a lightning bolt experience to come to this decision? No. It will make me a more marketable doctor when getting a job, I like that subspecialty, I did well on my boards, I'm not an idiot, I'm a hard worker who isn't a slacker-loser-evil-coworker. So take me on. You'll like me, you'll see. You won't regret it. And I'll appreciate it too. And my wife will be able to quit wondering where in the world we're going to live in another year and a half." Why can't I just write that for him and click 'send' on the ol' email? Hmmm.....so tempting.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

You could and perhaps you could be the catalyst for change in personal statements across the board. We're getting all amped up to apply for internships for the summer and I think I'm dreading it equally as much. Good luck!!

Becky said...

that's awesome; i'd love it if you did that! so funny.
good luck to you both!! : )

Kim said...

Hang in there, Melissa! Between the two of us, Gary and I easily spent twenty four hours on his personal statement in a period of about 18 hours! Ridiculous! Just remember it will get done and then you'll never have to do it again.

kelly said...

It sounds good to me!

Audrey said...

Sounds good to me! Who needs all of that malarky? Just give it to them cut and dry, be trailblazers and start a new trend: being straight forward and honest!

We could use a whole lot more of that!

Unknown said...

Keep us posted on the results! That would be so much fun if you'd end up somewhere in Texas. :)