Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lesson on Giving

For family night last night, we had a lesson from the Friend magazine that told the story of a family who donated money for tsunami relief. We got to talking after reading the story about money and service that we do in our church. We discussed tithing, the fact that we give 10% of our income to the church, and more importantly, the idea of fast offerings that we contribute each month. We talked about how fast offerings are used to help the poor and needy in our area, to help them with food and shelter and necessities of life. Justin connected this in his mind to his 2nd grade food drive that started this week. So we decided to go make a quick trip to Bag N Save and let him help think about what foods would be needed for a Thanksgiving dinner, and we would donate them to the food drive. It was really fun to watch the wheels turn in his mind, in thinking up what would be needed for such a dinner as we wandered the grocery store. We explained that donating to a food drive shouldn't be about going through the cupboards and pulling out all the canned vegetables that he doesn't like, and donate those. So I think he enjoyed thinking about things he WOULD like to eat, and purchasing those. At the end of our trip we showed him the receipt, explaining that food costs a good deal of money. On some level I think he understood this. He's excited to bring all of his good finds to school today to donate. I think it was an important lesson learned.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so, so good. what a very valuable opportunity to teach and what a great job you did taking full advantage. I love what a great mom you are! I am always learning from your blog. :)

Josh and Kimmy said...

What a great lesson! I can't wait til my kids are old enough to let those kinds of things sink in!!

Unknown said...

What a great lesson. I love how you had him pick out what he would really eat. I think all too often we do send the stuff that's been sitting on the shelf forever. Thanks for sharing your FHE! :)

The Wrights said...

Look at you--teaching your kiddos such wonderful lessons--has anyone told you today what a amazing mom you are?! (: Also, CONGRATS on baby boy #3--you guys are pros at little boys! That's exciting!!! Hope you are feeling well.