Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

I was telling a friend the other day that I haven't been blogging much because I haven't been in a, well, positive mood much these days so I feel like it's not all that great to blog the junk going on. I mean, really, who wants to read a big ball of negativity for the day. But well, it's life so I guess today I feel like a rant is ok.

First morning sickness. UGH. Whoever the idiot was that started referring to it as morning sickness really should be knocked upside the head. I've at least gotten this whole sickness stuff down to somewhat of a science, at least for about a week now. I can pretty much time it. Every day, 11am. The nurse in my doctor's office said that if you "continuously eat" that sickness is likely to be lessened. And I don't know why it's taken me 3 kids to figure THAT out, but it's true. Even if I don't feel like eating, munching on a couple crackers, eating a small snack about every two hours definitely helps. But I still feel the worst at 11am, and that's when I do the bulk of my puking. It's like my body is saying, "You blew it, it's time for lunch and you didn't feed me in time. Now you're going to pay!" Oh well. I still haven't quite found the reasoning for why Heavenly Father insists that some suffer more with this all-day sickness than others, or really why it exists at all, I mean don't moms go through enough pain and suffering? Apparently not. Yeah, I have my violin out this morning, can you tell? Maybe it's leftover frustration over what happened last night....

So yesterday I went to work for my little 3-7 shift that I've been doing (and I REALLY like that time period I've decided, even if it's busy. But it's ALWAYS busy on our cancer floor!). They were down a CNA so they had me "be the CNA" for those 4 hours. And boy I worked my butt off. It TOTALLY makes me appreciate the techs on my floor. All the seemingly little things that I ask them to do like "can you bring some jello into room __" really can add up. And it's not that they're hard things, but with everything going on, it can be really tough to meet 12 people's needs! My boss saw me running around, throwing on gowns to go in isolation rooms, and she asked me how it was going. I told her that all us nurses need to "be the tech" once in a while, that it really does make me appreciate all they do. And it makes me realize just how much they are paged and I don't even know that they are. 3 people wanting to use the potty at the same time, 2 patients with blood vitals to keep track of, 2 surgicals with surgical vitals. Again, not "hard" stuff, but very time consuming stuff. I love the girls I work with, they really are amazing.

I did my 4 hours of work and got a text from Adam saying that he wanted me to bring him home a "cold treat" on the way home. So I exited the interstate at a different exit so I could swing by Sonic...a place we go WAY TOO MUCH because it's close to our house. I knew I was in trouble when on the exit (however, AROUND THE BEND IN THE STREET or I would've avoided it!) there were a bunch of NE State Patrol officers all lined up, checking registration/licencses/insurance. They were eyeing each car with their stupid flashlights and I knew I was screwed.

For over 9 years, we've owned our Toyota Camry. When we bought it (used) it had originally come from FL and we were buying it in CA. We realized it didn't have a front license plate attached to it, but thought, eh who cares, we have the back one. There was no place for one to go on the front, no place for screws. So we moved out to NE and had the car registered and inspected by the county, as HAS to be done when you switch states. Everything was "fine" and they gave us our two new plates and registration. Every year I've been faithful in paying our registration on time, as I'm pretty anal about paying bills on time, always keeping insurance paid and up to date. Adam said (which I didn't know til last night) that during medical school (and we only had one car, Adam drove the Camry) that he went through a million of these registration checkpoints, and he never had to pull over and get the run around. Well I DID last night, and I just knew it wasn't going to be good. The officer and I had a good chat. I kept it light and easy and thought that maybe, just maybe he'd not ticket me and take mercy on me--seeing all the fruit snacks wrappers, wipes, two carseats etc in my car. Oh yeah, and scrubs-wearing me. Nope. He was a jerk. Trying with every question to "get me." He asked when I bought my car "Oh, 19..." and he stopped me realizing THAT question wasn't going to help his case. I told him we've lived in Nebraska for 7 years and haven't EVER had a problem. I told him it was never a big deal in CA either. And my other best defense was that when he asked for my registration and insurance, I pulled it all out of my glove compartment and the "extra" registration sticker that belongs on the extra license plate (which we keep in the trunk) was paperclipped to my registration and insurance cards. He said that people with two cars are only registering one car and taking the other plate and putting it on their second car, so they only pay for one registration. Smart...I mean, if no one is going to pull you over in 9 years for your registration, hmm, I could've saved how much money? Anyway. So at THAT comment (yes, now I'm fuming, but hiding my rage) I said, "I've got the other plate in my trunk, I can show you!!" Nope, he wasn't going to budge, not give me a warning, nothing. I've NEVER gotten a speeding ticket, never had ANYTHING tied to my drivers license ever. So I was pretty ticked that he was writing all that crap down on the ticket, everything from my drivers license--brown hair, green eyes. But, hehe, I fooled him. 145 pounds, haha dude! So I went home and told Adam of my experience with enraged Melissa taking hold, and he said that his idea is that we pay the $73 in unrolled pennies. We take them down in person and video the whole paying of the fine. I think it's excellent. Sure, the little worker will have to endure the wrath of THAT, as opposed to the idiot cop, but then I'll actually feel like I got something for my $73 dollar fine. And the stupidest part of it all? The fine is actually only $25--the rest of the money is a "court fee." So the ridiculous court gets the rest of my money. Stupid, stupid.

After posting this abreviated experience on facebook, I feel much better. Got some funny feedback, I think I like Melanie's idea the best, of paying $73.01 just so they have to go to the trouble of writing me a check for my overpaying of $0.01. Very tempting.

This morning, off to playgroup, which I'm excited about. A couple of us are going to start that, and I've missed doing that with just a few friends, it makes it nice and cozy. I've missed the days of getting together with Stacy, Steffanie, Dara, and Janelle. So I'm excited. Then I have a meeting for work this afternoon, which I usually take Spencer with me to because my boss rocks and says it's fine, but today we're touring our new unit on our new floor in "the tower" and kids are not allowed, wearing of the hardhats and all. Excited to see all new stuff. Ahh, it'll be great. And then off to soccer practice tonight. Adam is working again. I guess it's preparation for his time in DC. I still don't know how I'm not going to go bonkers while he's gone; I'm already trying to line up some babysitters so I don't lose it! I plan on some me time, maybe a massage or something, ah. I'm hoping anyway!!

4 comments:

Amber Marie said...

maybe you guys should take a vacation! aren't you past your first trimester...or I guess close? So hopefully the sickness will subside soon. I cannot IMAGINE how you work while sick- you are a trooper!

kelly said...

I think it was very refreshing to hear all that. Life just isn't perfect, for any of us. Thanks for sharing your woes with us.

Stacy Ellison said...

you can rant anytime you want! i quite liked reading it :) those darn troopers. did you say, but i'm a good person! maybe that would have helped :) your maybe you could have thrown up on his shoes because of the "morning sickness" that could have worked!

wright said...

It's fun to read what you guys are up to--so sorry about the whole ticket fiasco and CONGRATS on baby #3!!! Can't wait to hear what you're having!! (: