My brain has had about a million random things to post, but today I will finally sit and post only one...
About this time of year, 10 years ago, I was given a surprise bridal shower, along with my friend Marcia Brase who was getting married a month or so before me. I remember it being such a surprise, I really had no idea. I remember it being at Brooke Sweet's house on the lake and having her big beautiful house to ourselves. Marcia's husband Scott and my Adam hung out at the shower; they had a lot of fun, even if it was all the rest of us a bunch of girls. So one of the games/activities that I remember doing that night was that all the girls were to write down on little pieces of paper, bits of advice for us soon-to-be married girls. Which, as I think about it today, IS kind of funny in and of itself--a bunch of 19 year olds giving us marriage advice! It makes me smile. So anyway, I don't remember what all of them said (I wonder if I still have those pieces of paper in my "someday I'll scrapbook this stuff" box....)but I remember two of them...."Don't cook bacon naked" (maybe from Kim Church?) and "Don't turn into a frumpy wife." The frumpy comment was from Becky Johnson-Jensen. I've thought about this "advice" quite A LOT actually through these 10 years. With all boys in this household, it's really easy for me to just say to myself, "Eh, who really notices if I'm wearing makeup today." or "It doesn't matter if I actually blow dry my hair today." Unfortunately this last statement I find myself saying, um, A LOT. I just hate taking the time to do it, yet I know I feel better for the day if I do. It was actually Justin who told me when Spencer was little one day "Mom, you're wearing Sunday hair" when it was just some random weekday. And FYI Sunday hair=blow dried and straight, is what Justin defines as Sunday hair. This was certainly a frumpyness wake up call to hear from my 5 year old!
So Adam is gone (we've now survived a little over a week...only 3 more weeks to go!) and I did my hair on Saturday. And I timed it. It takes me roughly 6 minutes to blow dry my hair. Do I really not have 6 minutes to do this every day? Or is it just the lazy FRUMPY factor. Yes. Frumpy it is! So I made an effort the past few days to get up and get ready and find the 6 minutes to dry my hair. When I put Spencer in his high chair with his waffles and milk yesterday, I informed him that I was going back upstairs to blow dry my hair and get ready before we took Justin to school. His response: "Blowdryer? (he's fascinated by it for some strange reason...maybe because of its lack of use...)? Oh!!! Mommy pretty!" Sad. Mommy pretty and Sunday hair. Yep, this mommy needs to get out of her years of FRUMPY activities apparently!!! Thanks for the reminder Becky!:) I'm off to dry my hair!!
4 years ago



5 comments:
You're good to not be frumpy when Adam's gone. I didn't do my make-up or my hair today and I'm wearing a comfy jogging sweat suit... But, it definitely is good advice. I usually give myself one day a week to be "frumpy", because it's nice to get a break from having to get yourself all dolled up! :)
great post. love it. and i'm so pleased when mamas decide not to be frumpy. it really doesn't take long to put some mineral powder and mascara on at the least. and you feel like a million bucks instead of a worn-out mama.
That's funny. Have you ever seen pictures of Grandma Malan with all her little children? In every picture she looks so done up- that is my first question I am going to ask her next time I see her- did she always look like that or am I just seeing the pictures that she was "ready" for...cause today I went to the grocery store in a shirt with a hole in it and I had slept on my hair wet...and we know how that goes. So, I guess I am becoming a frumpy wife!
Glad you have time to blow-dry. :)
I do not even remember that shower, let alone saying that comment! How weird...especially since I do the 'Sunday hair' thing...Like you, I've timed it and realized it only takes a few extra minutes to look and feel good, so why don't I do it more?
I so can relate--I've become creative so that I don't have to blowdry--ponytails, braids, twists--you name it! (:
Post a Comment