WAS AWESOME!!! I highly recommend it to all women! What uplifting music, speakers, and fun time to spend with friends! One of my highlights was listening to Jenny Oaks Baker. I didn't know who she was prior to this (maybe since I haven't been in YW for a long time and have spent most of my married years in primary?) but I found her music to be simply amazing, what an unbelieveably talented violinist! I can't wait to listen to her Christmas cd that I bought (yes, I actually bought cds, something I haven't done for a while!). I got to listen to Ardeth Kapp (former YW Gen. Pres) who was awesome too. So I think the most important thing I gleaned from the 2 days event was my love for my favorite scripture (well...ok, one of them anyway!):
Helaman 5:12
And now, my sons [insert daughters here too], remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
I just love it. Sister Kapp talked about this in her talk, and while maybe not really "the point" of her talk, but it was a good reminder of this. It also brought me back to my Encore days when I repeated this scripture in one of our musicals. I just love it. What a great couple days, I really needed a "time out" and it was nice to get one. If you have the opportunity to go to one of these I recommend you GO!!
4 years ago



6 comments:
Your Encore days?! Like Encore Missionary choir? I was in Encore at the U of U...
Oh I am so jealous...in a very good way!!! I am happy you got to go and do something like that. Good for you!! I bet it was so fun to "have your cup filled". I hope to be able to go next time it is around here. It sounds like fun.
That scripture is especially meaningful with residency, don't you think? I think I am going to have to post it somewhere...especially since Ammon is on Q2!!
Anyway, glad you go to go...enjoy your CDs!!
I'm so glad you got to go and enjoyed yourself! My mom and I used to make a weekend of it in Dallas. Hopefully we'll be able to pick up the tradition once I'm back home. :)
Nope Beckee, Encore was (is?) an audition singing group in Fresno/Clovis California where I grew up, for high school juniors and seniors. Funny that they had the same name for our different choirs though!:) It was a blast though. Glad to see you at TOFW, it was so great.
And Laura, that's neat that you and your mom went in TX. I think it would be fun to go to education week again (I haven't been since high school). Adam thinks I should try and get a group together to go next summer. We'll see...
really great, Melissa! Jenny Oaks Baker's in-laws are in my ward, so she occasionally does musical numbers in our sacrament meeting. She is amazing, like you said.
I found your blog on facebook and I'll be frequenting it from now on! so glad to be back in touch with you. Please check my blog out, too!
love ya!
Love that I found your blog! So good to hear about you and Adam and the boys. I'll definitely be reading regularly from now on. You are great!
Post a Comment