4 years ago
Monday, October 13, 2008
Dumb Nebraska
I'm sorry, but I find this whole new phenomenon we're experiencing in the great state of Nebraska of "I'm dropping my 14 year old kid off at the hospital and leaving him there" a bit amusing (well...and sad!). Stupid Nebraska. So we were the very LAST state to enact a "safe haven law" which took place this past July. But the idiots in Lincoln decided that rather than design our law like ALL THE OTHER STATES and make this law intended to keep BABIES SAFE from ending up in dumpsters, that they would include ALL children 18 and younger to be allowed to be left at hospitals without fear of prosecution. SO in the past month we've had countless people dropping their kids off at the local hospitals, saying, "I'm done" and leaving their kids there, for our silly county to figure out what to do with them. And while I'm glad that people didn't just kill their teenagers....this law was supposed to keep frustrated, tired, depressed moms from saying, "I'm done" and leaving their infants to fend for themselves. So I heard on the news today that someone flew here today from Michigan, left their teenager at Creighton University Medical Center and said, "I'm done with this kid" because we are the ONLY state where one can abandon their child (of ANY age) at a hospital without prosecution. Stupid, stupid Nebraska. I mean, REALLY??!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Yeah, I heard about this and thought it was crazy! I mean who in the world thought that raising the age from 72 hrs. to EIGHTEEN YEARS was the smart thing to do?
Who ever it was must not have kids, let alone know any kids. There is always a point to where our children stretch our patience and love. How hasn't wished they could drop their child off somewhere until he/she was through a certain phase? Hello! You stick it out because you love them, no matter what, no matter how difficult it may seem. This too shall pass. But there are a lot of people out there who do not want the responsibility at all, and now have an out just because they don't want to deal with it. Sad.
And what does that tell the kids? Talk about pressure to be good all the time! "You can't have ice cream for breakfast. Now stop screaming or I'm going to drop you off at the hospital and never see you again." Can't you just feel the love, the unconditional love?
That's our government at work for ya. I guess this is why we are encouraged to be involved in our communities and local governments. There are just too many crazy people out there and when they get elected or appointed to positions of power we get some hair brained laws on the books!
I can only imagine what this is doing to the child proctective services out there. As if things in that department weren't hard enough this gets added to the mix. There's gotta be some way to change this law and fast. It's plain crazy!
Actually I was seriously contemplating driving the sibs' out to your own blessed county and leaving them at a hospital. Before they knew what was going on, I'd be backing up and throwing them a peace sign.
Post a Comment