Saturday, February 6, 2010

Preparations

I know, it's really not fun that I haven't been putting up pictures lately (so says my mom anyway!). The truth is, I just haven't been taking any! It seems all I've been doing is preparing for our new little boy to get here. I've had his crib and shelves stocked with all of his stuff, diapers ready to go, everything. I finally broke down and rearranged my bedroom a couple days ago to accommodate the baby's bassinet/changing area thing. It has been really amusing to watch Spencer with it. He puts his stuffed lion and "Eddie" (boy doll thing that he insists he sleep with every night) on the changing table and tells them he's getting them a new diaper, places them in the bassinet with his blanket and tells them to go go sleep, and even tells me that Eddie has to "sit on the potty" and will imitate that. It just makes me laugh. Spencer is totally ready for potty training, I can just tell. He now wakes up every night once or twice (preparing me for those overnight feedings maybe?) and yells (because we keep him in his room behind a baby gate since shutting the door never has worked out so well), "I'm poopy" or "I'm wet" and demands we change his diaper. I just don't quite know what to do with Spencer though--do I start potty training? Or do I just wait until the baby is 2 months or so and I'm feeling better, enough to clean up "accidents" and help with bum wipes and such? ARRGH. On one hand I totally would do it, but I just don't think it's too smart with the baby coming so soon...so that's my dilemma. Justin wasn't potty trained until 6 months before kindergarden started, so this is a whole new world. Each kid is so different. So for now we just listen and occasionally do what Spencer says--"Mom, sit me on the potty!" Maybe we'll have Nana potty train him when she comes out to help me with the baby....I think she's going to be helping me more with Spencer than the baby at this point!

5 comments:

Amber Marie said...

I vote Nana does it! :) I tried getting my mom to do it for me and she refused...something about already having done it 6 times?

When is your due date?

Kendra said...

Well, it sounds like Spencer is ready for the potty training, it's just not convenient for you! *lol* Good luck, sweetie!

The Chuck Smith Family said...

Delegate!

The Tubbs Family said...

Aww good luck with everything Melissa! That would be hard to potty train with a newborn! Im just getting ready to start with Shelby and I cant imagine doing it if there was a newborn! It is so draining!

Audrey said...

I agree with everyone else...NANA! My dad tried to help out with Tyler while we were visiting Steve's family, but it didn't go so well. I had my fingers crossed but I guess he just isn't that ready yet.

Good luck, and don't feel pressured to do it right away! If you're not sane, you're not going to be able to do much; do what works for YOU.

btw, I tried the gate in the doorway tactic and it lasted about ten minutes before Tyler realized he could climb over it.

Thank goodness for the crib tent. One step at a time...