Tuesday, February 9, 2010

False Alarm?

So, I've already whined on here about this silly child I have in my belly. I'm certain he will be a stand up comedian based upon his in utero antics. As I may have written on here, I'm going to the doc twice a week to have non stress tests (where they strap the monitors on to see how the baby is reacting to contractions, if I'm contracting, to watch the baby's heart rate accelerations/decelerations.). I've been doing this for a couple weeks now--the office staff all knows me by name at this point, they don't have to ask my name and THEN get my chart to check me in...it's a bit embarrassing, but that's ok. I come equipped with the family portable DVD player, which has been a lifesaver with Spencer in tow...I just haven't felt up to asking people to watch S twice a week...I REALLY want to use the help for playdates after the baby comes and I'm dying for sleep. Anyway, so I've been complaining about contractions FOREVER and they don't always show up on the monitors and then I feel like a big baby who's crying wolf (even though I know I'm not...). Today however, they sat me in a different chair w/ a different monitor (not sure if that is why it was different or not?). And the contractions looked much "prettier"--much more bell-shaped curve-like and I finally felt vindicated. I was happy to see the nurse when she came to check on me and I informed her that they were "pretty" FINALLY. She kinda laughed...but I think was secretly worried. I got re-aquainted with those dumb monitors and asked her about the strips (I'd forgotten that part of nursing school, how each little square equals 10 seconds, and the big lines equal a minute). Sure enough, I was having contractions every 6-7 minutes, lasting 60-90 seconds a pop. And they didn't feel great. Later I saw my doc and he was like, "Yes you are having contractions (um, duh right?). So we'll check you since that's all we can do really." I expected something, 1-2 cm dilated? Something? Nope. Nothing. And for all these weeks of painful contractions, I can't help but admit that I was bummed. But I know it'll be soon. The doc was like, "So I bet by now you're really wondering when you're supposed to call or come in. (They've been saying forever "more than 6 contractions an hour" which I've had on and off over that many but they eventually go away.) Call when they start to get painful." Painful, ha, what's THAT? I already know I have a high pain tolerance level, what a joke. And again, still measuring 40 weeks...and I'm 35. And this kid is breech (although the nurse and I were guessing possibly transverse today?) still. The doc gave me a couple quick creepy comments before he went on his merry way, like when I mentioned that I slipped on the ice yesterday, but didn't fall, but that I can hardly walk because my legs are so sore from catching myself, he muttered "Falling on your belly could be devastating, so be careful." Thanks. I was contemplating going down a snow sled on my belly. Very helpful information indeed. Didn't already know THAT would be a bad thing. He also informed me that even if they had to do an emergency c-section (if I go early) that they'd still do an ultrasound to check for baby's breech-ed-ness, so it would make surgery go easier. Again, duh. Oh well. My bags are sort of packed but I guess I'd better get them a bit better packed? I hate this stage of the game! I'm just too impatient. My mom says that's why I was born 6 weeks early!:)

4 comments:

wright said...

Keep us posted--We hope you are feeling okay (as well as you can, what, w/ contractions and all). Love ya!

Kendra said...

*lol* Well, honey, DO be careful; I do worry about the snow/ice. I'm not 36 weeks pregnant and I know I would fall! So be careful, and it'll all be over soon!!! :)

Unknown said...

Good luck Melissa, be safe....and try not to go sledding too much ;)

The Tubbs Family said...

hang in there :) the last few weeks are sooo hard to be patient!