I was remembering today (this is a REALLY RANDOM thought) how much fun a game was that I used to play multiple times a day in 6th grade. Kudos to Mr. Adair, my 6th grade teacher. He really was the best. Besides inspiring me to continue my piano playing by listening to all of his ragtime music (he had a piano in his room), he was the most amazing mathmatician my little 6th grade mind could imagine. Oh, that, and being able to watch Laurel and Hardy movies in his class several times a week. That guy really was awesome.
So on to Krypto. I remember that he had these cards that he placed up on "his board"--which I'm sure he made himself, it had horizontal slats of wood to he could put things up on it...mostly different math card games, from what I remember. Maybe vocab cards too. Anyway, so I decided to google this game today, for surely I could make it myself. It was so much fun. And seeing as I have this very destractable genius child on my hands, I think that he might catch on to this...once he understands multiplication and division I suppose! But until that time, I think Adam might enjoy this too. We'll see if my brain can compete with his! HA! So my best guess from searching different websites is that the deck consists of 52 cards: three each of numbers 1-10, two each of 11-17, one each of 18-25. The way we played it in class was that 5 cards were placed on the board. A 6th card was placed underneath it and we were to use any/all 4 operations (+, -, x, /) to obtain the result of the 6th card. Each of the cards was to be used exactly once. Reading on an ebay post gives slightly different directions: ("Deal five cards to each player, and a common objective card. Using basic arithmetic and each card exactly once, come up with a formula yielding the objective card. Winner is first to come up with a correct formula.") Either way, I'm going to make some of these cards and go laminate them and we'll have Krypto again forever. YAY!
4 years ago



2 comments:
I bet my husband would love that game, as for me, well, I wish it sounded fun!
I can honestly say I have never heard of that game in my life. And now I am really curious.
Post a Comment