We had a lovely Christmas and while we were worried how everything would go with Adam working Christmas day and I working Christmas Eve, it all worked out in the end. I tried to staff reduce at work and got staff reduced from 3-7p (I did end up having to go in from 7-11:30p and THAT was awful--I got floated to the diabetic unit, ugh...but I digress) and so when I got the call while I was halfway to work (driving on the interstate) that they didn't need me afterall, I drove straight to the grocery store to go grab some Martinelli's and a ham because I knew now we could have Christmas! So we had already done our traditional reading from Luke and acting out the nativity story with our Little People Nativity on Christmas Eve Eve (Tuesday, thinking I'd be gone on Christmas Eve) and the boys had fun with that, so we decided to do Christmas--opening of presents--on Christmas Eve while we had the time together and I was home. The kids had a blast, got some great presents from our wonderfully generous family. Boy, they are spoiled. Spencer particularly liked playing with all the wrapping paper...and Justin's toys. Why is it that the other kid's toys always seem better? They had fun. We had our ham dinner and Justin gulped up the Martinelli's. I'll never forget the first year we were here and I tried to find Martinelli's. The store people had never heard of it, thought I was a nut. In recent years I've just bought the 3 pack of it at Sam's, but this year I found some at good ol' Bag In Save. Good. Yum. We had a relaxing few hours at home before I went off to be fed to the wolves at work. I really paid my dues in those 4 hours! Never have diabetes. Ever. Or sickle cell anemia...that pt was much worse to take care of actually.
The next morning we did Santa (we were glad we had done the other presents the night before!) and Justin and Spencer had fun playing with their new toys and seeing that Santa drank his egg nog and ate his Christmas tree sugar cookies that Justin and I had made on Christmas Eve morning. Since I knew I would be a zombie (as I am every Thursday) and we'd only have a few minutes before Adam would go off to work, we had cinnamon rolls from a can (yes, pillsbury), and scrambled eggs. Not ideal, but super easy and quick and yum, which was the goal! During the day I messed up my leg again (I get this weird pain periodically, ever since Justin was born--I think it's my sciatic nerve) and couldn't walk all day...that was tricky trying to change diapers, take Spencer upstairs with one leg....So we weren't sure if I was going to be able to make Adam dinner and go all the way downtown for Adam to have some sort of Christmas dinner (as opposed to eating the hospital slop!). I toughed it out and we got ourselves in the cafeteria and all. I realized that there's a reason we don't do this that often. 1) Adam is really busy when he's on call and the likelihood that we'll eat with him isn't so likely and 2) It's a REAL BIG pain to do! But we did and even though I think we all ate in like 5 minutes because Adam had traumas being scanned and it was a matter of minutes before he would need to run and read them out, we were just glad we could eat with Daddy. Spencer was having a rough day and kept going to the garage door, wanting Daddy. When Adam came in the cafeteria while we were setting up, Spencer tried to jump out of his stroller, reaching for Adam. Those boys sure love their Daddy.
So that was then. Adam is sleeping right now, recovering from the usual fun that is trauma call. I'm headed out to go scrape at the ice on our driveway. Here's a fun trivia tidbit: Ice melts at 32 degrees, not freezes! HA! Having been in the single digits and below over the past couple weeks, I'm SO grateful for this unusually warm day today! It's actually supposed to be 53!! Nuts, but I'm excited because our ice skating rink (driveway) has been 2 inches solid for days now and has kept me from delivering some 'Christmas' that will now be 'New Year's' gifts...because I didn't want to fall on the ice of my neighbors' driveways either! So yay for today, yay for Christmas (and it being over!), yay that Adam will wake up in a few hours to grace our presence before going back to sleep (trauma call again tomorrow so we won't see him for another 30 hours in a row), and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! Pictures to be posted later...
4 years ago



3 comments:
Isn't the life of a doctor (and a nurse too!) fun?! ;-) Ammon's got New Year's Eve trauma call but we had him for Christmas. I am glad you had time with your hubby and kiddos and I am learning holidays are truly what you make of them. It doesn't matter what day you do the traditions...your kids will just remember you did them.
That is so great that you made the best of the situation-got your ham and cider (I totally understand that!!!!) and had a fun holiday together! Merry Christmas! From one understanding doctor's wife to another!!! ;-)
Wow! I think that one word is enough!!
Oh...and Merry Christmas!
There are so many lives that you are your husband are blessing! Wow!
I'm glad your Christmas turned out better than expected. Looking forward to some pictures. Have a nice New Years! :)
Post a Comment