Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Jonathan's Wedding and Christmas at the Malan's

What a great trip we had! We left for Nauvoo last Monday for my brother Jonathan and Alyson's wedding on Tuesday. Weather was perfect for driving there and we enjoyed the time we were able to spend with family. We've been there before, but never inside the temple. The Nauvoo temple was amazing--I was particularly struck with how period-like the temple was to the original temple. Very neat. Gorgeous.






Inside the Nauvoo Visitor's Center (Spencer LOVED naming everyone in the nativity)
On Wednesday we drove from Nauvoo to Crystal Lake, IL where my parents live. It was so nice that my grandparents came all the way from CA to the sealing and to Christmas. My children really haven't spent much time with them since we live so far away so I was glad they were able to see the 'other' grandpa and grandma Malan. We had them thoroughly confused I think when we'd refer to "Grandma" or "Grandpa" Malan though!



Christmas was relaxing, we just enjoyed time with family and enjoyed a fabulous meal that night that my mom coordinated. I loved that we got to eat on her Christmas china and all 12 of us at the dining room table. It was like we were royalty, so fun!
The reception for J & A was on the 26th. The weather was really bad driving out to Sycamore, where Alyson is from and where the reception was held. But we made it safe and sound (we determined that we really NEED an SUV after Adam got to drive my parents' jeep out there, wow, it handles so much better in the weather!) and really had a lovely time. I tried to capture some pictures of the beautiful reception, but the pictures don't do it justice! I loved the fact that they decorated with the "stick trees" like we had at my reception--all of their own idea--they looked SO cool, and even more cool now that we live in the snow. That's just what the trees look like when they're covered in snow without leaves on them, and when they're covered in ice. Neat. Alyson looked amazing, her hair was beautiful (good job Kara!), her dress was perfect for her. Just fun times. I think my favorite comment for the night came when I told Spencer he could come out of "the room" we had for the kids, watching a movie to keep them occupied during the reception. I told him that he could only come out if he was VERY quiet and held my hand, that we were going into a magic room that was very pretty and special. He got very quiet and just took in the beauty of the night with all the beautiful white lights, toole, and decor. We sat at a table and, watching Alyson in the receiving line he said, "Momma, Aunt Alyson pretty." Yep she sure is!


We had a relatively uneventful drive home (minus the idiot cops who weren't doing their job and thus a 45 minute wait on the Missouri river bridge getting into Omaha...and we were telling the kids the whole time "We're almost home"...with which we were driving NO WHERE! UGH!) only to arrive to our home with 4+ foot snow drifts from the Christmas Blizzard (yes, the 2nd blizzard in the just a couple weeks!) in our driveway. Luckily our kind neighbors who were watching our house shoveled out a little path up to our garage so I could get inside with the kids. Adam spent another 2 1/2 hrs shoveling it all out though! Wow. Don't think I've mentioned yet (and it's appropriate here) that Adam has interviews over this next month to several places for a fellowship....all include places with MUCH warmer weather!!!:) I'm certainly about done with the snow I think!:) YAY!

2 comments:

Cristy said...

I'm glad you got to see Nauvoo. It is such a wonderful place!! Although I think I prefer it without all the snow!!
You can't beat Nauvoo during pageant season! It's an absolute must do!!!

wright said...

What a beautiful wedding! It sounds like things went well (esp. considering all of the snow!). Hard to believe that Jonathan is married!! Wish we got more snow in MO--they canceled school last week 2 days bc of like 3 inches of snow. Crazy! Hope you are feeling well!