We did the traditional "pennies under the plate" thing at breakfast, which was kinda funny this year. I had put 6 nickles under his plate and 1 under his cup. Justin went with Adam to pick out donuts (another tradition) so he didn't see me set all this. So we were eating and I kept prompting him to move his plate, or drink, "You must be VERY thirsty Justin," and he would scoot his plate closer to himself and hear the noise of the coins moving but he'd forgotten our tradition and kept saying, "Hmm, this plate sounds VERY old." But he didn't pick it up, or the cup. All this time I thought Adam knew what was going on, why it was making noise, but apparently NOT. Finally I told Justin, "Why don't you pick up your plate to go get your second donut, so the sprinkles don't fall on the floor." So as Justin was scooting out of his chair, Adam picked up Justin's plate and handed it to him...revealing the nickles. OOOPPPS! Adam had forgotten, and Justin thought it was pretty funny that HE had forgotten about it too. Adam says it's just one of those weird Malan traditions, at which I had to inform him it was actually a Dendy tradition. It's ok, I think it's a fun one. Oh yeah, and I guess Justin picked out the GIANT donut because he's always wanted it and Adam figured it was ok on his birthday, only to have Justin say (when he got home) that he wanted Adam to have it and that he didn't want it because he was SURE that his daddy wanted it. Funny. It got shared by all of us all weekend.
So we opened presents. Justin got (against my better judgement...) a Nintendo DS from us, which he LOVES. It's blue, his favorite color, "Just like my eyes," he says! He got a neat book from G&G Malan about President Abraham Lincoln that they got from visiting Lincoln's hometown of Springfield, Illinois when we all made the St. Louis trip. He also got a neat goo-alien maker thing from G&G Smith. A very spoiled birthday as usual!
He requested a "Cars" cake, so even though Adam insisted on us buying it, I made it. I forget why it is that I only make cakes like every-other birthday...they always kill my hands! Oh well. We had fun eating cake anyway!
And we went to the Amazing Pizza Machine for an early dinner. That has become a favorite birthday place to go it seems. I had been seeing advertisments for a $5.99 buffet there, so I was wondering if the place had gotten run down since we'd been a year or so ago, but no. It's still great. Hopefully they'll stay in business another couple years while we're here!
A great time for all. We sure are glad we have Justin in our family. What a blessing he is. He's taught us so much about patience and love. We love you Justin!



7 comments:
What a fun day for him! You rock as a mom. :) For the record, I can't believe he's 7 either. That's insane! Congrats!
I can't believe he's 7! It looks like Justin had a great birthday thanks to mom's hard work. :)
wow 7already!! where does the time go? Alexia turned 7 in december i didnt realize her and Justin were so close in age!! She's getting ready for 2nd grade too!! Looks like you guys had fun and awesome job on the cake! :)
Wow, 7! So, I don't know what happened, if it's my computer. But I had to highlight the post to read it. It looks like it's white text on white background. Just thought I'd let you know.
Your cake looks so good! I want to make cakes like that! Doughnuts is a family tradition of ours to, I love Birthdays!
Sounds like he had a great birthday! Justin and Aubree's bday's are on the same day! I love the cars cake, it turned out great, good job!
First of all, don't give up on the cake making...you are awesome at it!!!!! ;-) The cake looked so good! Secondly, I really think you guys need to look into coming here for a fellowship...seriously. I think Justin and Ethan would be best friends! Besides they are only like a week or two apart. That is so cool you got him a DS. Ethan has been begging for months, and we told him maybe for Christmas...you'll have to advise me on that one as it gets closer. E also got the alien goo thing for his birthday too!
I can't believe we have seven year olds! I remember my mom telling me you were pregnant too (when I was preg. with E) and I was so excited! Someday we need to get those boys together. And, for the record, I think the penny tradition sounds cool! ;-)
Post a Comment