Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Trip to the ER

I knew it had to happen sometime, and I suppose tonight was the best of nights to have an accident, all things considering.

At 4:40pm, Spencer was playing with his doctor kit and the next thing I knew I heard a terrible noise hit the wall. As Spencer got up and was screaming, I was really hoping it was just the doctor's kit that hit the wall, but alas, it was Spencer's forehead, hitting the corner of the wall that connects our family room with the hallway that leads to the garage. He immediately started bleeding and I quickly compressed it to stop the bleeding. Then I called Adam at work and asked if I should go to Children's Hospital and he said yes. Off we went to the ER. Spencer was back to his old self and running around the waiting room, while blood dripped from his head. Lovely. We went back to the hospital room and had very kind nurses that put what they called "Zap" on his head (I think it's basically EMLA cream that numbs the site). They put this on a couple times over the next 40 minutes and then...the awful, terrible thing that Moms shouldn't ever have to do--watch their son be held down in a papoose. UGH! And I volunteered to stay in the room because I felt bad leaving the room to have Adam stay there with him (Adam came straight from work. Yay to not have to do this alone!), but someone had to take Justin out of the room, not to witness the blood curdling screaming about to take place. I almost passed out during the 3rd stitch (yes...I'm a whimp. There's a reason why I don't 'do' surgical nursing. And peds for that matter. Kids and surgery aren't for me!!) and sat down on the rocking chair beside the bed. So two hours after the accident, off we went home with 3 sutures in my baby's head. I have a feeling the way he ran around the hospital room (and had a few falls in the room itself) that this will not likely be Spencer's last set of sutures in his lifetime! Good job Spence.

He looks pretty happy here, and because the wound was gaping open it doesn't really look all that impressive:




The boys watching Curious George, waiting for the nurse to come with the Zap:


Home from the hospital:






One day later, sitting in his high chair ready for breakfast!

4 comments:

kelly said...

I was under the impression that they didn't do stitches anymore, it's either glue or staples. One of my kids had his head stapled. I thought they'd have to shave it for stitches and the dr laughed and said, "Oh no, we don't do those anymore."

The Smith Family said...

Nope, it all depends on the wound and where it's at. The nurse said that this one could've been glued but that Spencer likely would've popped it back open "just by being a boy." Eww, I'm glad he didn't have to have staples though.

Anonymous said...

He could be Harry Potter's long lost brother!

Kendra said...

Good grief. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it doesn't look TOO bad. Poor baby. When do they come out?