Other things we've been up to this month...
Adam: GONE GONE GONE it seems. I'm trying to stay positive about it but it's ridiculous, to put it mildly....and I know it could be so much worse if he had picked a different specialty. Just trying to stay positive, I am (barely through). *sigh* He went out at the beginning of Aug. to CA, up to UC Davis for a physics boards review course, which he thinks was really helpful. He was gone 8 days so I'm hoping it was....He takes his physics boards on Monday 9/8 so I'm sure he'll be SO glad to have them over with. I'm just glad that he won't have another boards exam for a year, yay! He'll have two more boards exams to take over the course of residency, one written exam his 4th year and an oral exam (no, not a trip to the dentist:)) his 5th year.
Me: Working on a quilt that seems to be taking a ridiculously long time because Spencer gives me no time to work on it. I don't like working on it "in the creepy basement" so it basically only leaves me time when he goes to sleep and when I want to stay up late. So it's getting there, just needs marked and tied--our stake was asked to make quilts for the church's humanitarian aid, apparently they are in dire need of quilts. So this was my first time making a giant quilt...yikes. But it really hasn't been too bad, it makes me want to learn to "really" quilt...if only Momma Linda were living closer and could teach me her art.
Justin: Started 1st grade, lost his first tooth, has two teeth growing in behind his bottom teeth (braces here we come, lovely!) just like his mom had happen when she was little. Just started another year of soccer, which he LOVES...MUCH better than baseball; baseball just isn't as action-packed I think (which is why I don't think it's THAT fun to watch), it's not like they just get to run the whole time like they do in soccer! Justin has been very concerned about a lot these days, I think school (and his teacher...but that's another story) are stressing him out. The other night (Saturday), while Adam was on call, I was up working on the quilt and Justin was up watching a movie. It ended and we had a little conversation...which went something like this:
"Mom I want to be in the army when I grow up."
"Absolutely not Justin. You can do anything you want in life BUT be in the military. I don't want you to die." (Yeah yeah...I'm selfish, I know it.)
Right then and there Justin burst into tears. Had I known that our conversation was going to go like this, I would've kept my mouth shut and just said "ok." He proceeds to tell me (through LOTS OF TEARS and WHINING, no, scratch that, WAILING) that he doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up and that he NEEDS TO KNOW NOW and that he can't be a police officer because "that's dangerous and they carry guns" and that he "just doesn't know." I stood there, with an iron in my hand (trying desperately to press open the seams on the quilt) just totally stunned. This was not what I was expecting. I put the iron down and went and snuggled him for a bit. He just sobbed, it was sad. So finally I said, "We'll call Daddy. He'll tell you that you don't need to decide right now what you want to be, that you have LOTS of time to figure that out." I told Justin all the things that I wanted to be through the years, a teacher, a musician, an artist, a physical therapist. It was interesting going through them all and reflecting. I told him all about Adam's ideas...which mainly centered on being an engineer. But then I told him that he was going to be in the FBI and how he passed the first few tests...and then got into med school and quickly snatched that up instead. But to a 6 year old, it just doesn't matter. So it was an enlightening experience to see his worries. He's a worry-wart like his mom. We called Daddy at work who I think was shocked (it was 9:30) that Justin was carrying on so. After we hung up, I realized that Justin's bottom tooth was like flat, turned over. I informed Justin that it was time to come out. After another fit "but there's BLOOOOD Mommy!!" the tooth was out and so another call to Daddy was made. I think Adam was fairly confused by our phone calls!
Oh, one more thing. It took 3 doctors and 3 doctor's visits this month to determine that Justin has psoriasis guttate, a form of psoriasis. He got sent home from school (they probably thought he had chicken pox or something) and after a doctors' note was back the next day. But it took us a couple weeks to figure out WHAT it was. It's really weird and I'm praying that he doesn't have to suffer from chronic psoriasis, what a pain. It doesn't bother him, and he hasn't had a fever or anything, so we knew he was fine and not contagious. Still it's really nasty looking, poor kid. I hope the kids are treating him nice at school...that's all he needs is to be teased.
Spencer: IS INTO EVERYTHING!!!! He's a monkey really. Justin never got into stuff so it's pretty shocking to my system. He thinks he's mastered stairs but totally hasn't so it's scary. We have two "main" flights of stairs (plus the basement set, but we don't count those) and one of them has hardwood at the bottom...of course, it's the longer flight of stairs, lovely. So as much as we chase him around and put gates up, he still finds a way somehow. He has 3 battle wounds from various falls around the house and at church. He also is very close to walking, he'll take like 1-2 steps and then sits down, but is very fast at cruising around the furniture. If we say "Spencer" with that tone like he's in trouble, he'll giggle and then "run" while holding onto stuff towards whatever naughty object he shouldn't be near. It's very funny. AND he's learned to fake cough. Justin has had a cough/cold thing going on so Spencer thinks it's fun to imitate him. Great, my own little parrot!:)
Anyway, here are the overdue pictures:
First tooth gone 8/30/08:
You can see his rash a little bit in this picture:
The tooth (it makes me a little sad thinking about how long I waited for this tooth to grow in when he was a baby!):
First day of school Wednesday 8/13/08:



3 comments:
What a busy time for your adorable family!
You are super busy! I have no idea how you do it all with out Adam. The few nights that Steve comes home late I am usually really tired and crabby. I think you're amazing.
I showed Isabel the picture of Justin without his tooth. It looks like they lost the same tooth! Happy times!
Glad to hear you're still standing!
Wow Melissa!! I love hearing how you guys are doing!You are a superwoman!
Post a Comment