Thursday, July 2, 2009

Year #3 DONE!

As I was at work last night and saw a couple newbie looking residents (likely their first day of residency), I couldn't help but sigh to myself a few thoughts...."Hmm, they don't have a CLUE what they're about to embark on!".... "Should I really DO these orders...like, do they understand why they wrote this order??".... "It's July 1st...oopps, forgot to call and wish my parents a happy 31st anniversary."....and the best thought, "July 1st...wow, that means Adam is officially a 4th year resident, less than 2 years left!!!" This means we are more than half done with this whole residency nonsense. Not that it's REALLY nonsense, but well, somedays I feel that it really is! It's amazing how far Adam has come, how he's learned tremendously, and it's fun for me to have a bit of understanding into what he goes through. It's fun that he can come home and tell me about putting in nephrostomy tubes, PICC lines, doing liver embolizations, putting in IVC filters, and that I "get it." Not that I totally "get" when he tells of the odd things that people place in various orifices that he has to look at on scans because people are stupid. That's just plain weird. But because I "get" the whole crazy hospital-working-with-students-and-residents phenomenon, I'm so glad I became a nurse. Residency is hard enough, but I think it helps Adam decompress when he comes home and tells me what he's had to do. It has bonded us in a way I wouldn't have expected I suppose. We somehow survived June, he survived the 11 calls he had and I've learned that I have really good kids that allow me to drag them all over the place. They've learned how to be quiet at church meetings, work meetings, doctors appointments and other non-kid-friendly places I've needed to be and for that I'm so grateful. Yay for another year down. And yay for moonlighting. SO glad for THAT--it's been a long time coming!!

2 comments:

Yasmine said...

Congratulations!!! I know it must be hard on you so you deserve some kind of prize when this is all over.

Tay and Teigan said...

That's got to feel great! And yes, you do deserve a prize when this is all over!