Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Big 6!

So, while it was a lot of fun (and a lot of work) I think I would deem this birthday as the year of "too much birthday." I'm pretty sure there's a Berenstein Bears book about this very topic. Anyhoo...Adam has had a million calls this month (ok, 7, not a million, but it sure has FELT like a million!) which basically meant that he'd be gone for all but one weekend for the month. Having Adam at Justin's party was a must (who? ME? Wrestle 10 kids and a baby? No way!), so we had to have Justin's party 2 weeks before his birthday. This was fine, except that then on his "real" birthday, we had to celebrate it again, since Justin knew this was the date of his real birthday. Whatever, it's fine. So the party was fun. Justin wanted a Curious George themed party. It had rained the day before his party so many of the games that I wanted the kids to play (the PBS website has fun party ideas specifically for a Curious George party, something I found after most of my planning was done though!) had to be altered or eliminated completely. We were planning to have the pinata outside, hung over our swingset but it was just too mushy outside and I didn't want to send kids home looking as though they were having a mudwrestling party! So we went in our very un-fun unfinished basement (hence the odd pictures with "stuff" in the background) that we use for storage mainly. All in all, it was fun. The kids had pizza and birthday cake, played some games and ran around beating each other with balloons (who knew 6 year old would find so much fun with balloons lying around the house!?!). My house is still standing and none of the kids broke their arms or legs while at my house so I think it was a success!:) I see now why I only had a handful of birthday parties growing up! I think I'll adopt the same policy in my house!:)

And THIS is what Spencer did while we were neglecting him, trying to watch the party-ers...no, he's not looking for a cheerio. He's knocked out asleep. The original plan was for him to take a much needed nap during the party. But (as I've said before) the kid doesn't sleep...doesn't nap more than about 20 minutes...and still gets up twice a night....



Yes, there IS something weird and twisted about wacking Curious George's head off, but that's what Justin wanted. Adam enjoyed "staging" these next pictures once the kids all went home...


Here are pictures from Justin's "real" birthday, May 16th. We went to one of our favorite places, Famous Dave's (Justin wanted the firework treat that they bring on your birthday that we've seen other people get in the past). Ohh, and I guess I should mention that he got a sunburn at "field day" at school that day. Even though they put sunblock on him, he burns just like his parents!






And lastly, the end of the endless birthday....the funfetti cupcakes Justin wanted Mom to make on his birthday! Whew! What a birthday!


5 comments:

beckee said...

Looks like lots of birthday fun!! I am sure Justin LOVED every minute. I have a sister-in-law that managed to turn her birthday into a month long event-sounds like Justin is on that track. :)

The Chuck Smith Family said...

I love birthdays. I can't believe Justin is already six! Time goes by faster and faster as they get older. Please tell him hi for us and we hope had a wonderful birthday.

Audrey said...

That sure is a whole lotta birthday! Justin sure is lucky to have such nice parents! I'm thinking this year the girls are having a combined b-day party! You don't realize how much work goes into them until you are the one throwing them! Yikes!

Kirsten said...

What a fun birthday!! I bet he loved all of it-I sure would! I want to go that restaurant on MY birthday too...wish they had one here cuz I would LOVE the firework display! It is so fun we have boys the same age. They seem so similar in so many ways...;-)

Rick and Pam Smith said...

Happy birthday Justin! (Poor George) Looks like you had two birthdays instead of one! I love the look on your face at Famous Dave's when the fireworks are going off.

Happy birthday!

Grandma Smith